Health during Old Age: Recreational activities for senior people
It is well known that a good diet, exercise and an active lifestyle all together contribute to a healthy older age. Elderly people should pursue a 2019 medicare supplement plan F for the rest of the year. their hobbies with passion and commitment in order to stay healthy and happy. Those seniors who stay in a care service or alone, it is all the more important for them to have a day filled with many activities which helps in emotional, physical and cognitive well-being. Make sure that your day is well planned with activities that are of your interests, few recreational activities that you might like to include in your daily routine are:
- Adopt a Pet: A pet is a man’s best friend. Pets have known to have an extremely healing effect on their owner’s life. Having a Pet reduces the level of stress hormones and provides great emotional support.
- Learning a Craft/Building new skill: Pick up a skill you always wanted to learn, find a teacher or mentor and start taking a class. Learning new skills increases cognitive ability and enhances brain muscles. Also, it will give a great sense of achievement.
- Gardening: Nature has great therapeutic powers. In senior years one should try to be as close to nature as possible. It is for this reason that pursuing creative skills gives such a great sense of belongingness and contentment. Gardening is another great activity to invest your time into. Learn about the basics, discuss within your social circle, plant flowers, trees and vegetables.
- Join a Yoga Class: Apart from doing the daily yoga for 10-15 minutes also join a yoga class where you can learn about meditation, breathing exercise, spiritualism and other higher form of prayers.
- Charity Work: Give back to society and join a nearby organization which is involved in working for a cause for the betterment of society. Contribute through our time and skill.
- Join a Community: Join a tribe of like-minded people that you would like to hang out with. Share your day time with them listening to their life stories and narrating ours, visit each other and share food, play games etc.
- Watch TV, Play Games: Spend your day doing some fun activities, watch movies, listen to music, read and discuss newspapers, play board games etc.
- Spend more time with your better half: Old age is the time to fall in love again. Revive your romance with your better half, share life memories, have good conversation, go for a walk together etc.
- Reading: Pick up your favourite book and read it. Share your learnings with others. Join a book club and participate in ‘Book Reading Sessions’. Etc.