If you have never visited the tiny hamlet of Warrenton, VA, this one might be a little foreign, but I’m keeping it local today. Since I will soon be moving ‘home’ to Warrenton, this is for my Warrenton friends! Please share and comment to let me know what I forgot!
You Know You Grew Up In Warrenton, VA In the 1980s and 1990s If…
- You’re parents ever bought a vehicle from Rick Hunt Ford when it was on the old bypass near Frost Diner
- You looked forward to a donut from Cardinal Bakery on Main Street
- You ever had a milk shake at the counter from Fauquier Pharmacy
- You read the Fauquier Democrat AND the Fauquier Citizen to get your high school sports news
- You’re mom would only use vanilla from Rhodes Drug Store for baking
- You went to Junior High School at Warrenton, Taylor, Cedar Lee or Marshall, NOT middle school
- You participated in May Day or the Balloon Ascension at Central Elementary as a student
- Your favorite pizza came from Pizza Inn, not Hut for a brief time in the 1980s and you always brought change for the juke box
- You remember when P.B. Smith had that awesome merry go round on the play ground (which must have been removed due to danger of kids flying off by now)
- You remember when the Old Jail Museum was painted white on the outside
- You remember when the shopping options were A&P, Safeway and if you wanted to shop in old town, IGA.
- You remember going to see the fireworks in the field behind P.B. Smith before Great Meadow came along
- You attended the Spring Festival when kids would throw the loud snappy things on the ground and you made sure to stop and see the karate demonstration and see your classmates busting their moves
- You’re parents shopped at Carter’s General Store on Main Street
- You remember Dr. Sentz (dentist) and Dr. Von Elten coming to town and all the moms switched to them because they were so handsome
- You had Mrs. Walton as a substitute teacher
- You took dance classes with Mrs. D’urso and wanted to be her when you grew up (if you were a girl)
- You remember when the old bypass was the only bypass and bypassed old town before the new bypass was built to bypass the bypass
- You went to story time at the old library and the best part was going up and down the spiral staircase
- You remember when you could hit up Erol’s Video and TCBY in the same trip
- You went to Bradley Elementary and Principal White told you the story of ‘The Monkey’s Paw’ while dressed as a vampire on Halloween.
- You took the long car trip to Gainesville once a year to visit The Christmas Gallery
- You rode to Pete’s Park-n-Eat in the back of someone’s pick up truck to get a zebra cone
- You went down Broadview Avenue to go to Roy Rodgers, Tastee Freez or Hardee’s
- You got your guinea pigs and fish at Little Pals Pet Shop when it was around the corner from Peebles, and if you went right before Easter you got to pet piles of baby ducks and chicks
- As a shallow teenager, you were embarrassed to be seen in Jamesway or Ames
I could go on and on…leave a comment and let me know what else you would add, or leave a message on our Facebook Page. Share with other Warrenton peeps you know — I’m feeling nostalgic, so I’d love more feedback!
Don’t miss my new book – well, the book with my essay and 39 other hilarious and heartfelt essays from mom bloggers, I Still Just Want To Pee Alone!